BUY/SELL BTC Click here To Buy Bitcoins || Click Here to Sell Bitcoins Or call 07037238225 (@prezzy)

Amazing Facts About The Largest Living Reptiles You Need To Know (crocodile)

Discussion in 'Stories (interesting stories)' started by Daniyan timilehin, Sep 26, 2018.

1. crocodile.jpg-Amazing Facts About The Largest Living Reptiles You Need To Know (crocodile)
    Crocodiles are large reptiles that live in fresh water, lakes, rivers, brackish water (mix between salty and fresh water).
    They can be found in tropic areas of Australia, Africa, America and Asia. There are 23 species of crocodiles and most of them are endangered because of poaching.

- Crocodile's skin is highly appreciated in fashion industry and represents a status symbol for wealthy people.

- Interesting Crocodile Facts: Closest relatives of crocodiles are birds and
    dinosaurs.

- Crocodiles live on the Earth 240 million years. They appeared at the same time when dinosaurs appeared.

- Crocodiles vary in size. Largest crocodile species is Saltwater Crocodile which can reach 13-18 feet in length and weigh up to 2200 pounds. Smallest crocodile species is Dwarf Crocodile which can reach 5 feet in length and weigh up to 40-70 pounds.

- Crocodiles are meat-eaters (carnivores).
    They have 24 sharp teeth which are used for killing of fish, birds, mammals and small crocodile (their prey).

- Crocodiles don't chew their food. They tear
    apart flesh and swallow large chunks of meat. They sometimes swallow stones to ensure faster grinding of the food in their stomach.

- Expression "cry crocodile tears" is based on
    the true fact - crocodiles produce tears when they eat. They don't cry because they feel sorry for the prey, but because they swallow too much air, which gets in touch with lachrymal glands (glands that produce tears) and forces tears to flow.

- They have one of the strongest bites in the animal world. Muscles which induce closing of the jaw are much stronger than muscles which open the jaw. Because of that, people can use their bare hands to keep their mouth closed.

- Crocodiles can be often seen with their jaws wide open. They open their jaws to cool themselves because they don't have sweat glands.

- Only crocodile's belly has a gentle skin. Skin on their back contains bony structures (called osteoderms) which make skin bulletproof.

- Crocodiles have excellent eyesight (especially during the night). Their eyes can be seen as red dots while peeking from the water during the night.

- Crocodiles and alligators are not the same.
    Crocodiles are larger, have V-shaped jaw and some of their teeth can be seen even when the jaw is fully closed. Alligators are smaller, they have U-shaped jaw and their teeth are not visible when jaws are closed.

- Crocodiles mate during monsoon season.
    Female lays 20-80 eggs
    and take care of them 3 months.

- Temperature of the nest determines the gender of the baby. When temperature is 31.6 degrees Celsius males will develop. Temperature below and above 31.6 degrees induces development of females.

- 99% of crocodile babies will be eaten in the first year of their life by large fish, hyenas, monitor lizards and larger crocodiles.

- Most crocodiles live 50-60 years in the wild.
    Some crocodiles can live more than 80years.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Amazing Facts Largest Forum Date
    Bible Quiz: Shocking Facts Christians Must Know Stories (interesting stories) Apr 25, 2017
    Interesting But Useless Facts Stories (interesting stories) Dec 29, 2016

3. Prezzy

Prezzy Leader Protector

Does the picture cover the facts Because I see nothing else

4. Edited* sorry for the empty post, I posted words buh didn't notice that it wasn't published. :)

Prezzy likes this.
  5. Topmaike007

Topmaike007 Well Known

wow i learnt New thing today

Daniyan timilehin likes this.
  6. Prezzy

Prezzy Leader Protector

Ancient of ancient!

7. Prezzy

Prezzy Leader Protector

Funny animals

8. crocme.jpg-Amazing Facts About The Largest Living Reptiles You Need To Know (crocodile) bigcroc.jpg-Amazing Facts About The Largest Living Reptiles You Need To Know (crocodile) crocme.jpg-Amazing Facts About The Largest Living Reptiles You Need To Know (crocodile) bigcroc.jpg-Amazing Facts About The Largest Living Reptiles You Need To Know (crocodile) MORE FACTS ABOUT CROCS
    - Crocodiles can be found anywhere except Europe due to Europe's climate.

- The smallest extant crocodile is the dwarf crocodile (Osteolaemus tetraspis), with a medium adult length of 1.5 m (4.9 ft). Maximum recorded length for this species is 1.9 m (6.2 ft).

- Crocodiles have a valve at the back of their throat allowing them to open their jaw underwater.

- The first crocodiles appeared around 250 million years ago, at the same time when dinosaurs appeared. The prehistoric ancestors of crocodiles were much bigger than today's counterparts.

- Their night vision is very good and they are mostly nocturnal hunters.

- Crocodiles have the most sophisticated heart in the animal kingdom, and actively change the destination of blood that flows through it depending on requirements.

- Crocodiles carry their babies to the water In their mouth.

- Baby crocodiles can make noises from inside their eggs before they hatch. The mother can hear their voices, then digs up the eggs from the sand, and takes the hatchlings to the water.

Prezzy likes this.
  9. Prezzy

Prezzy Leader Protector

I disagree with this
    And
    @Daniyan timilehin @Topmaike007 please do we also think this is true..?

10. Prezzy

Prezzy Leader Protector

Where can we find crocodile in Nigeria please?

11. Prezzy

Prezzy Leader Protector

I heard some crocodile breed in Agulu lake in Anambra state but it's more like folktales . Who has the facts.?

12. In Zoos and reserves. Lols! Though animals in Nigerian zoos are most times malnourished.
    Below is a picture of the crocodile in Ikorodu Origin zoo, Lagos.
    ikdcroc.jpg-Amazing Facts About The Largest Living Reptiles You Need To Know (crocodile)

Prezzy likes this.
  13. Topmaike007

Topmaike007 Well Known

@Prezzy it seems unreal to me..

But if they are eaten which one will remain

14. Lols according to scientists and researchs, Temperature determines the sex of the babies of animals like Crocodile and Alligator by an enzyme called aromatase, which converts the male hormone testosterone into female hormone oestrogen. This enzyme reacts very slowly at 25C but very quickly at 30C
    So females
    hatch out of eggs that are incubated at warmer temperatures. In some species the females hatch out of cooler eggs while in others males only hatch from eggs in a middle range of temperature.

AND

yes! Most times when not well protected, baby crocs gets eaten by other animals and even animals of the same specie with them (what do you expect in the wild where each animal struggles for its own survival???) any opportunity to feed on a baby animal would be made use of immediately.
    Even a mother Crocodile can eat her baby so?? :D

Prezzy likes this.
  15. Prezzy

Prezzy Leader Protector

Well in the first case, it doesn't sound entirely impossible

But in the second .. When 99% of crocodiles die just like that what will be left?

And you said that the mother crocodile lays only 10-80 eggs.
    Think of it... What is 99% of 80 ?

This one again seems impossible to me. 99% must be an exaggeration dude

16. @bolded
    That's the reason Crocodiles are on the verge of extincting in most continents.

17. Prezzy

Prezzy Leader Protector

Hmm. It's dangerous keeping these things in Nigerian zoos because of our lackadaisical attitude in this country

I remember when they said that a lion escaped from Nekede zoo here in Owerri ... Everyone was scared

Topmaike007 likes this.
  18. Prezzy

Prezzy Leader Protector

Should we pray that they be saved.???

Am not sure I can pray that kind of prayer because these animals no get joy at all

Topmaike007 likes this.
  19. The 99% is not an exaggeration :D
    Baby crocs are mostly off security of their mother (though they sometimes gets eaten by their mother) so this gives other animals 100% chance to eat almost 99% of them
    Again, once they're off protection they do not have any ability to protect themselves from other animals that'd prey on them cos they (baby crocs) would still be soft, is not yet fast, would have no sense of hiding from beasts, would be so tiny and weak and these makes it easy for them eaten :)

Have you ever imagined the size of a baby Crocodile??? If you've ever imagined or see that then you should know that 99% of them can get eaten very easily.
    below is a pics of how a baby croc looks like
    babycroc.jpg-Amazing Facts About The Largest Living Reptiles You Need To Know (crocodile)

The pics should do Justice to the 99% figure :D :D

20. Yeah! It's quite dangerous to keep them in zoos cos they could get out mistakenly due to the carelessness of their keepers...

I could also remember that a Lion escaped in Ikorodu zoo few years ago...it was Tension! Tension! Tension! But was later caught and taken back to it's zoo without it hurting anyone I guess because it wasn't an adult lion :D

But the reason these animals are kept in zoos is to make it easy for people to get to see them :) we were tired of seeing them only on NatGeo Wild but now it has been made easy lol :D

21. Topmaike007

Topmaike007 Well Known

wow so they will go just like dinosaurs..

very bad

22. Topmaike007

Topmaike007 Well Known

oga so what you are saying is that we should start Jurassic world

23. Topmaike007

Topmaike007 Well Known

@Prezzy don't worry we will start Jurassic world in the east

24. Lols
    No jhor! They won't extinct.
    That's why they are being preserve in zoos and parks... If they're left to only live in the wild then the probability that they'll be extincted would be high but since they're being kept in zoos they can easily reproduce offsprings without losing them to predators :D :)

25. Topmaike007

Topmaike007 Well Known

even me, I am also a predator cos there is no meat i dont eat since it is not human meat issa eat

26. Chai! Mr Predator :D Your own case na one of a kind ooo :) I eat meats gotten only from Livestock animals, anything apart from that issa Big NO:D

Topmaike007 likes this.
  27. Topmaike007

Topmaike007 Well Known

lolz:tumbsup: